1607 - 1747 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY etc.
- A few plates w. large waterstain; contents sl. frayed and dustsoiled along edges.
= First published in volume VII of Memoires de la Societe d'Agriculture the same year and subsequently expanded and published in 1810 as "Traite d'architecture rurale." The plates illustrate plans and designs for farms with different acreages, farm buildings, barns, stables, farm houses, granaries, cellars, labourers' cottages, farm gates, etc.
- Sl. foxed/ yellowed/ fingersoiled throughout; htitle lacks portion of lower blank margin; title-p. sm. tear closed w. sellotape.
= Edition published with the text and atlas in 1 volume. Cf. Waller 1107 (ed. Paris, 1834); Wellcome II, 176 (other editions); Hirsch-H. I, p.563. Rare, especially in this edition and with these delicately handcoloured plates.
- Title-p. foxed and sl. browned; final leaf w. closed tear and restored margins; a few plates w. pencil annots.; new endpapers; occas. sl. foxed. Rebacked w. use of contemp. backstrip; covers scratched and rubbed; corners showing.
= BMN I, p.86; not in Choulant, Frank, Waller. On the translator, cf. Hirsch II, p.476. Rare.
- Browned; lacks portion of title-p., partly restored w. japanese; sm. annot. on title-p.
= Rare work, in any edition, on bee-keeping. On Cluyt see Van der Aa III, p.156/157.
- Partly waterstained; yellowed/ browned.
= From the library of Bob Luza w. his bookplate on upper pastedown. Bierens de Haan 249 (ed. 1690?) en 250; Hoogendoorn BekBo2.2.
- Owner's stamp on title-p. Binding worn; spine-ends chipped; corners bumped.
- A few marginal annots.; occas. sl. (water)stained. Backstrip partly lacking; covers sl. rubbed.
= Houzeau/ Lancaster 9732 (dating 1695); Hoogendoorn Valk01, 1.1 (p.883); cf. Bierens de Haan, 4942 (other ed. by Leonard Valk). Rare comple edition.
- Lacks at least 16 plates and a few plates and accomp. textleaves bound with in duplicate. Occas. (sl.) foxed;
= Nissen, BBI 2221; Landwehr, Dutch books w. col. plates 14. First part entirely devoted to apples, the second part devoted to pears and stone-fruit.
- Partly foxed; several lvs. and plates (incl. some col. plates) restored in margins; 2 col. plates cut short and reattached.
= Nissen, ZBI 334.
- Old annot. on title-p. Binding w. minor imperfections. A good copy.
= Ferguson I, p.15; cf. Caillet 129.
- Lacks title-p.; occas. sl. yellowed. Binding worn/ dam. and restored.
= Unidentified edition, not in Ferguson. "(...) his knowledge of the subjects which are treated of in his "Secreti" is not at all better than that of many old women in our country villages. His secrets are of the most various kinds: medicines, colours, dyes, varnishes, cosmetics, soaps, perfumes etc., are all described with the minustest detail, and he declares that he had published none but those whose admirable virtues had been repeatedly tested and proved." (The Biographical Dictionary of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, vol. I/2, p. 827f.). First published in Venice, 1555.
- Rather worn copy; fngersoiled and partly waterst./ yellowed; a few scattered owner's stamps and old annots.; lacks lower pastedown; bookblock sl. warped. Vellum stained and soiled.
= Rare edition. Not in Ferguson. "(...) his knowledge of the subjects which are treated of in his "Secreti" is not at all better than that of many old women in our country villages. His secrets are of the most various kinds: medicines, colours, dyes, varnishes, cosmetics, soaps, perfumes etc., are all described with the minustest detail, and he declares that he had published none but those whose admirable virtues had been repeatedly tested and proved." (The Biographical Dictionary of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, vol. I/2, p. 827f.). First published in Venice, 1555.
- Lacks first vol.; pagination erratic but complete; waterstained in margins throughout (also affecting text); libr. stamps on htitle, engr. titles and printed title; occas. wormholed in blank margin. Spines dam. (esp. at ends); corners worn. Sold w.a.f.
= Nissen, BBI 103; Pritzel 504; Hunt 251; Plesch II, 41.
- Without the accomp. text; plates sl. duststained along outer margins. Wrapper sl. frayed.
= Only the section of vol. 1 on the Polypodium. Nissen BBI, 174; Pritzel 845; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 30. Odd vol. of the very rare and majestically illustrated standard work on the flora of Java.
- Title-p. and a few quires yellowed/ sl. browned; part of the "Synopsis Iconum et Descriptionum novarum" leaf lacking and replaced with 19th cent. manuscript section; occas. sl. foxed/ waterst.; new endpapers. Later vellum backstrip.
= Nissen, BBI 368. Rare.
- Lacks final index leaf; some lvs. repaired w. paper; crossed-out owner's entry on title-p.; occas. sl. (water)stained.
= Nissen, BBI 514; Hunt I, 104; Bibl. Belg. D 114; Voet 1098. The second edition, the first published one year earlier. "The larger part of the illustrations of the 1568-edition have been used again, in all 103 woodcuts. Have not been retaken: the 4 illustrations figuring in the 1568-edition on pp.301, 302, 304, 306. The illustration on p.167 has been replaced by a new one. Have been added: the illustrations on pp.54, 112, 173, 185, 258. The illustration on p.165 has been re-arranged." (Voet).
- Vol. 2 only. A complete set contains 250 woodcut plates.
= Nissen, BBI 547. Many of the plates were printed from the blocks used for the large plates in Mattioli's herbal, New Kreuterbuch (1563).
- Lacks 5 plates (nos. 7, 36, 37, 39 and 40); plate 41 tear (10 cm.) in top margin; plate 8 and 35 w. number added in pencil; plate 35 duststained; title and index leaf foxed.
= Nissen BBI, 1453.
WITH: 15 duplicates and triplicates, mostly duststained/ (sl.) foxed and occas. dam.
- All but one w. bookplate on first free endpaper; occas. sl. yellowed/ waterstained. Binding worn along extremities; spines sl. wormholed.
= An index of the plates is bound at the end of the 2nd vol. Very rare set of mainly botanical plates. Nissen, BBI 686.
- Without the 4 text vols. containing another 13 plates; plate numbering skips plate 277 (not published). Covers sl. chafed; corners worn/ showing. Nevertheless a fine set.
= Nissen, BBI 703; Pritzel 5084. Fine plates.