1379 - 1571 FINE PRINTING and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS (including CARICATURE)
- Hinges weakening; occas. sl. foxed. Spine sunned; upper joint sl. worn.
= On the artist see Houfe p.401 and Peppin/ M. p.215f: "Nielsen's most remarkable illustrations were for the four lavishly produced limited editions published by Hodder and Stoughton (...). Though influenced in style by the drawings of Aubrey Beardsley and by Oriental and Middle-Eastern art, his work revealed above all his talent for theatrical design. His illustrations were formally dramatic in conception, the figures portrayed as actors posed against backdrops, their clothes depicted with all the elegance of costume designs. Within this essentially artificial context, he was able to introduce images that were sometimes strikingly imaginative or bizarre."
- A good copy w. the following defects: owner's entry ("Antwerpen 27 Julie - 12 Aug. '21") in pen and ink on htitle; bookplate on verso htitle. Orig. wrappers dustsoiled/ sl. chafed and sl. trimmed (lacking sm. portions from blank corners); frontwr. two sm. sellotape stains; backstrip of binding trifle rubbed at extremities.
= With the extremely rare original wrap-around band tipped-in on htitle and the rare "Storende Errata" leaf tipped-in on last blank page. A major publication of the modernist movement. Remarkable typography expressing the complexity of the big city. Andel p.120. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIX.
- Frontwr. sl. soiled, a few weak/ thin spots along margins carefully restored; htitle a few thin spots/ holes (caused by silverfish) along outer margin. Contents very good. Unnumb. copy.
= A major publication of the modernist movement. Remarkable typography expressing the complexity of the big city. Andel p.120.
- Uncut copy. Ticket tipped in on verso frontwr. Paper over backstrip splitting; wrappers sl. discol. along margins; outer edge backwr. w. vague red stain.
= Batten/ Stols 7; Van Dijk 90. Very rare.
AND 3 others by the same, i.a. Poging tot afstand (Brussels/ Maastr., 1928, 2nd ed., frontisp. by C.A. WILLINK, orig. wr.).
- Sm. ticket tipped onto verso frontwr.; bookblock loose. Wrappers sl. discol. and trifle frayed along margins; spine w. sm. holes and stains from rusty staples.
= Cahiers van De Driehoek. Batten/ Stols 30. Rare.
- Uncut copy. A good, unnumb. copy. Sm. ticket tipped onto verso frontwr.; bookblock loose. Wrappers sl. discol. and trifle frayed along margins; spine w. sm. holes and stains from rusty staples.
= Cahiers van De Driehoek. Batten/ Stols 31. Rare.
- Title sl. foxed.
= MONOGRAMMED in pen and ink below colophon by the author. Batten/ Stols 5. Very rare.
- Sm. ticket tipped onto verso frontwr.; sm. stamp "Eksemplaar ter-Resensie" on first free endpaper; sl. yellowed as usual. Wrapper trifle browned.
= Batten/Stols 18. Very rare.
- Some offsetting from the illls. on opposite pages. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIX.
- Spine sl. faded. = De Halcyon Pers 10; Van Dijk 222.
AND 23 others, for the larger part published by J. Enschéde en Zonen, i.a. CHOIX DE POÈMES EN L'HONNEUR DU LIVRE (Amst., 1955, orig. wr.) and HERAKLEITOS, Fragmenten (n.pl., 1944, orig. wr.).
- Title-p. foxed. Spine-ends rubbed/ sl. worn. = Latimore/ Haskell p.41f.
- Contents sl. foxed, otherwise fine. = The first trade edition. Latimore/ Haskell p.38-39.
Stephens, J. Irish Fairy Tales. London, Macmillan & Co., 1920, 1st ed., X,318,(2)p., title-p., 16 col. plates, ills. and orig. gilt cl. by A. RACKHAM.
- Trifle foxed. Spine-ends trifle rubbed. = Latimore/ Haskell p.52-53.
- Partly sl. foxed. = The first trade edition. Latimore/ Haskell p.29; Ray 327.
Phillpotts, E. A Dish of Apples. Ibid., Hodder & Stoughton, n.d. (1921), 75,(5)p., 3 tipped-in col. plates, ills., endpapers and orig. pict. cl. by A. RACKHAM.
- Spine-ends trifle rubbed. Otherwise fine. = The first trade edition. Latimore/ Haskell p.54.
- Occas. trifle foxed. = Cf. Latimore/ Haskell p.32.
Irving, W. Rip van Winkle. Ibid., iidem, 1910, XII,61,(2)p., 50 tipped-in col. plates and orig. gilt buckram by A. RACKHAM, 4to.
- Textpages and flimsies trifle foxed. = Cf. Latimore/ Haskell p.26 (first edition published in 1905) and p.45.
AND 1 other illustrated by the same.
- Sl. offsetting from title-p. on frontisp. A few sm. rubbed spots along margins of binding. Fine copy.
= For the etching see Delteil 3. Not in Monod. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LX.
- Contents fine. Chemise and slipcase (dust)stained and sl. worn/ dam.
= One of 30 copies on Vélin d'Arches, w. an extra suite of the lithographs.
= Monod 9995.
= Illustrated with 8 ORIGINAL PEN AND INK DRAWINGS w. watercolour by S. SALIM.
= With an ORIGINAL DRAWING by S. SALIM in pencil and watercolour on p.14.
= Illustrated with 20 ORIGINAL DRAWINGS by S. SALIM in pen and ink and watercolour on several pages.