4966 - 5091 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
- Doubled; trifle frayed.
- Sl. rubbed/ dam. in outer margins, possibly from former passepartout; a few sm. holes in image.
- Yellowed; w. sm. defects.
AND 2 similar by the same, two actors (possibly two parts from the same triptych).
- Sm. tape ghost in corners. = Part of unknown polyptyches.
AND 2 others by KUNIAKI II.
- Somewhat bleak impression.
Eisen (1790-1848). (A bijin standing next to a window). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Keisai Eisen ga, w. aratame seal.
= From the series Bijin sugata (Figures of beauties). Both prints of the lot probably later impressions.
- Under passepartout, edges sl. cut short, just within the image.
= From the series Matching pictures with the Chushingura of 12 prints combining bijin with scenes from the novel Chushingura.
AND a woodcut ôban by KUNINAO.
- W. holes near left edge, perhaps formerly bound in album.
Idem. (Shoemaker at work). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Toyokuni ga, publ. Aritaya Seiemon, censor seal, date seal (1856). - AND 1 other by the same: (Seated actor) (col. woodcut ôban, signed Toyokuni ga, censor seal and date seal. Cut sl. short; a few thin spots; prob. part of a triptych).
- Titles unread but apparently a collection of short stories.
- Lower right corner lacks sm. portions.
AND 3 others, i.a. 2 horizonal ôban by KUNISADA.
- Probably originally a triptych; w. creases and folds.
AND another col. woodcut ôban diptych by the same, showing a fight in the snow (poor copy).
- Worn along edges, w. repairs; soiled.
Idem. (Actor standing standing next to a large barrel(?). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Gototei Kunisada ga, publisher unread.
- Wormholes in lower corners; trimmed short w. sl. loss off image. = Part of a diptych or triptych.
AND 2 others by the same, both w. repairs along edges and sl. soiled.
- Closed hole in lower right corner.
Toyokuni (1769-1825). (Group portrait of five actors). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Toyokuni ga, publisher Kawachiya Genshichi (before 1811).
- Soiled; closed wormholes along edges and lower section (just within the image).
= With the publisher seal of Kawachiya Genshichi, used before 1811 (Marks 227).
AND 1 other by TOYOKUNI: (Standing actor) (published by the same, also before 1811).
- Sl. soiled.
AND 3 other similar portraits of sumo wrestlers by KUNISADA, SHUNEI and KUNITERU III, all uniformly framed w. above.
= Bought at the Kaigado gallery.
- A few closed holes in the right section; worn/ dam. spots near upper right corner en upper edge.
Yoshitoshi (1839-1892). Returning Sails in the Ryukyu Islands (Minamoto Tametomo on the Beach). Col. woodcut ôban triptych, 1867, signed Yoshitoshi hitsu, publisher Kinseidô.
- All ôban sections tipped on one leaf; all (heavily) wormholed along edges.
= From the series Bidan musha hakkei (Eight Views with Fine Tales of Warriors).
= Part of diptych or triptych.
AND 10 others, partly by the same, mostly in poor condition.
- Left blank margin cut sl. short affecting publisher and censor's seal; trifle rubbed in left margin.
= Temple no. 20 of the Chichibu junrei niban Daiôzan Shinpuku-ji (Chichibu Pilgrimage Route), from the series Kannon reigenki (Miracles of Kannon).
Iidem. The Miracles of Kannon.Temple Himisen / Fudatate Touge. Col. woodcut ôban, signed Kunisada ga in toshidama seal and Hiroshige (in inset view), printer Yamadaya Shôjirô, censor seal.
- Two sm. closed tears in margins; cut sl. short and restored in left (mostly blank) margin, affecting the publisher and censor's seal.
= No. 34 of the Chichibu Pilgrimage Route.
AND 4 others by the same from the same series, all near fine: Jigan-ji on Mount Kika (no. 13 of the Chichibu Pilgrimage Route); Yanodô at Kannon-ji on Mount Yôkô (no. 21 of the Chichibu Pilgrimage Route); Makinoo-dera in Izumi Province (no. 4 of the Saikoku Pilgrimage Route) and Temple no.5 (unidentified scene).
- Lower left corner sl. cut short; holes (from former binding?) near right edge.
AND 1 other by TOYOKUNI (?).