4966 - 5091 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
- Professionally laid down on very thin Japanese paper, with tears closed incl. a large horizontal tear/ fold in upper half; fingersoiled and some parts rubbed; trimmed and probably cut short.
= Katsukawa Shunei created a similar print of the same subject.
- A few rubbed spots in upper margin; some handling creases.
Anonymous (19th cent.). (Hilly landscape). Drawing, brush and (col.) ink on Japanese on 2 attached lvs., 13,5x38 cm. (sheet)
- Lacks tiny portion of lower left corner.
= Probably a design for a folding screen.
AND 2 woodcuts on Japanese.
= Signature unread but identified on mount as Daïranken (?). With collector's stamp in the shape of a Japanese signature seal on mount.
Anonymous. (19th cent.). (A sketch leaf with a double design of a landscape and a monk near a small building). Drawing, brush and ink and watercolour, 27x18,5 cm., w. manuscript text.
- Edges trimmed/ cut short w. loss of image and part of signature.
= From the collection Van Meurs. Sold at auction Paul Brandt in 1971. Kano school.
- Rolled (perhaps formerly attached to a scroll); a few rubbed spots and some small stains near uper edge.
AND 5 other drawings, i.a. fan drawings and a surimono with a lobster or shrimp.
- Waterstain near lower edge. = Middle section of a triptych. With attribution to Kunisada.
= From the collection Van Meurs. From an album titled "Kokei Yamato jinbutsu ga tehon" (Examples of the people of Yamato). Shijo school.
= Design for a fan with a manuscript text on a similar fan shaped leaf, mounted together on one leaf.
- Image sl. cut short; laid down on stiff paper.
- Sl. creased along edges. = Perhaps an uncut building model or an unknown game.
Anonymous (19th cent.) (Seven flying cranes on a background of red swirling clouds). Col. woodcut w. gauffrage, 35x48 cm.
- Central fold.
AND ±40 other sm. prints and ephemera, various sizes.
Anonymous (late 19th/ early 20th cent.). (A beggar). Woodcut, 14,1x12,5 cm. - AND 6 others similar.
- Leaves waterstained in lower area, affecting three woodcuts (of which two only sl.).
Hokusai (1760-1849). 5 tinted woodcut bookillustrations, all from Manga vol.12.