2101 - 2230 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY etc.
- One textp. w. thumb-sized inkstain; the plate of the female nude body w. contemp. added pubic hair in pen and ink; one plate sl. stained; one plate w. neatly closed large tear and one plate w. neatly closed small tear in blank margin; a few leaves w. (sl.) (finger)soiling in margins; occas. sl. foxed/ spotted; new endpapers. Binding worn along extremities; joints starting but holding well.
= The second Dutch edition, originally published in Latin in 1685 (Bibl. Walleriana 1039; Krivatsky 1239; Choulant p.93-95). This edition not in the usual bibliographies. Splendid baroque anatomical atlas. "For Lairesse, the anatomical illustrations Bidloo asked him to undertake were an occasion for an artistic meditation on anatomy: he displayed his figures in an emotional, almost tender manner, contrasting the raw dissected parts with the full, soft surfaces of uncut flesh, placing flayed, bound figures in ordinary nightclothes or bedding, setting ordinary household objects such as books, jars or cabinets in the same scene as cut-up torsos or limbs, and in one plate showing a fly crawling on an opened abdomen. His illustrations brought the qualities of Dutch still-life painting into anatomical illustration, and gave a new, darker spiritual expression to the significance of the act of dissection." (Norman Library no. 231); "These are masterpieces of Dutch baroque art. When William of Orange came to England in 1688, Bidloo was chosen to accompany him as his physician." (Garrison/ Morton 385 (Latin ed.)). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLVI.
- Sl. foxed. Covers sl. worn.
Dumstrey, F. De Hygiêne der Vrouw in gezonde en zieke dagen. Medische voorschriften en recepten. Amst., Gebr. Graauw's Uitgevers Maatschappij, n.d. (1930), 2nd ed., IX,(1),184,(1)p., col. lithogr. mutli-layered plate, orig. giltlettered cl.
- Sl foxed/ browned. Sm. stain on frontcover; spine-ends sl. worn.
Giles, A.E. Anatomie en Physiologie van de Vrouwelijke Geslachtsorganen en van de Zwangerschap. Introd. H. Kooistra. Ibid., Gebr. Graauw, n.d. (±1915), 28p., col. lithogr. multi-layered anatomical plate, orig. clothbacked boards, sm. 4to.
- Sl. browned/ foxed; bookblock loosening. Covers soiled/ dogeared; waterstain on frontcover.
AND 6 others in 7 vols. (in mediocre condition/ incomplete), i.a. J.E. ALBERTS, Het ontstaan, de ontwikkeling en de geboorte van den mensch (ibid., n.d. (±1915), 5th rev. ed., multi-layered fold. col. lithogr. plate, num. textills., orig. limp boards).
- Central two leaves loose. = Rare.
= Facs. reprint of the ed. Basel, 1543. With the separate study by G.A. Lindeboom, Andreas Vesalius and his Opus Magnum (23p., orig. dec. wr., folio).
- Trifle foxed; one leaf. w. (repaired) tear in lower outer corner, leaving brown stains. Corners sl. bumped; a few scratches on backcover.
- Sl. browned; stamp on title-p.; 2 paper tickets on upper pastedown. Paper over boards sl. worn, mostly on backstrip.
= Curious and rare work, not in Houzeau & Lancaster.
- Several (near) contemp. owner's entries on endpapers; occas. sl. foxed; title-p. sm. tear along central fold and w. libr. stamp; most plates w. creases in outer margin and occas. sl. frayed. Binding rubbed.
= The rare first edition. A work written, as stated on the title-p., with an educational purpose for the "studirendem Jugend" and nicely illustrated. Not in Houzeau/ Lancaster; Poggendorff II, p.701; cf. Dünnhaupt 1638, 26. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLVII.
- Upper (board) edges sl. soiled. Otherwise fine.
Brouwer, G.A. Historische gegevens over onze vroegere ornithologen en over de avifauna van Nederland. Leyden, E.J. Brill, 1954, 225,(1)p., 35 plates, 7 ills., orig. wr. - AND 4 others similar, i.a. J. SETTELE a.o., Climatic risk atlas of European butterflies (Sofia/ Moscow, 2008, profusely illustrated, wr.).
= Facs. reprint of ed. Strasb., 1532.
Lonicerus, A. Kräuterbuch. Kunstliche Conterfeytunge der Bäume, Stauden, Hecken, Kräuter, Getreyd, Gewürze. Ibid., idem, 1962, (6),750,(24)p., num. ills., orig. artificial leather, sm. 4to.
= Facs. reprint of ed. Ulm, 1679.
Dioscorides, P. Kräuterbuch. Deß uralten und in aller Welt berühmtesten Griechischen Scribenten. Ibid., idem, 1964, (10),616,(35)p., num. ills., orig. artificial leather, 4to.
= Facs. reprint of ed. Frankfurt am Main, 1610.
- Sm. tear in dustwr.
- Bookblock loose(ning); sl. yellowed.
- Foot of spine sl. rubbed; dustwr. trifle soiled.
AND 2 others, i.a. IDEM, The Genus Pleione (ibid., 1988, ills., orig. boards w. dustwr. Sm. annot. on first free endpaper).
- Lacks the final 2 vols; some unobtrusive foxing. A fine set. = Nissen, BBI 581.
- Spine sl. sunned; upper strip of 5 cm. of frontcover soiled. Contents fine.
Böcher, T.W., Holmen, K. and Jakobsen, K. The flora of Greenland. Copenhagen, P. Haase & Son, 1968, 312p., fold. map, (col.) ills., orig. gilt pict. cl. w. dustwr.
- First free endpaper w. mounted postcard and owner's annot.
AND 9 others similar, i.a. I. TEIRLINCK, Plantenkultus (Amst., 1980, pict. wr. Rare) and M.G.M. VAN ROOSMALEN, Surinaams vruchtenboek (2 vols., (Utrecht, 1977), num. ills., orig. unif. wr., spines sunned).
- Owner's stamp on title-p.; without the CD-rom.